This lasagne is probably the best pasta free dish I’ve ever tasted! Steamed celeriac acts as the pasta layer whilst soaked cashews blended with coconut milk and roasted peppers replaces the traditional béchamel and cheese topping. A little bit of planning is required for this dish but consider it a worthy investment; I would recommend soaking the cashews and cooking the lentils the night before to save time. Again I’ve used steak mince but you can substitute with chicken/lamb/pork/turkey or else just increase the amount of lentils. If you have leftover sauce, it acts as a great dip with raw vegetables. Provides 6 generous portions, serve with salad. Celeriac Pasta Sheets:
- 1 large celeriac
Creamy Cashew and Roasted Pepper Sauce:
- 350g cashews, soaked in water for minimum 3 hours
- 2 sweet peppers
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
Beef and Lentil Mix:
- 300g brown/green/red lentils
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground coriander & paprika
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh/dried herbs
- 500g passata
- 300g steak mince
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the pan to a gently boil and return to a simmer. Allow to simmer until the majority of water has been absorbed. At this point place another 200ml of water into the pan and continue to simmer until all the water has been absorbed to ensure the lentils are fully tender.
- De-seed and halve the red peppers. Place in a roasting tin with a tsp of coconut oil and roast at 180°C until the skins begin to blister.
- Peel and slice the celeriac into inch thick slices. Gently steam until tender, approx 5-8 minutes. Remove the celeriac from the steamer, sprinkle with some sea salt and allow to cool.
- Mince the garlic and finely cube the celery, carrot and onion. Heat a tbsp coconut oil in a large saucepan over a gently heat. Once melted, add the vegetables. Allow the vegetables to gently sweat by covering with a sheet of baking paper and the saucepan lid. Stirring the vegetables regularly until the onions become translucent.
- Add the spices, herbs, passata and lentils through the vegetable mix and gently cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brown the mince in a large saucepan and transfer to the vegetable mix. Stir through the mince and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To make the cashew sauce; blend the roasted peppers, coconut milk and drained cashews together until you get a creamy texture.
- To assemble the dish: place the lentil and beef mix into a large dish, layer half the celeriac over this, followed by layer of the cashew sauce, repeat the celeriac and cashew layer for the top.
- Bake in an oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is golden.