This salad is perfect for your lunchbox, a quick lunch or dinner served with some salmon, shredded chicken or simply on its own. It’s great for using up any leftover roasted veg too. The tahini dressing also works great instead of mayonnaise in coleslaw.
- 100g quinoa/bulgur wheat
- 500ml water
- 1 pre-cooked beetroot
- 2 small carrots
- 1/2 small sweet potato
- 2 tbsp pumpkin/sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 spring onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp water
- Rinse the quinoa & bulgur in a fine sieve whilst you bring the 500ml water to the boil. Once the water begins to boil, add the rinsed grains, place the lid on the saucepan, reduce to a simmer and cook until all the water is absorbed about 20mins. Take off the heat, remove the lid and allow to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 200C. Melt 2 tsp coconut oil in a roasting tray. Peel the carrots and sweet potato and cut into cubes with the beetroot. Mix the veg thoroughly with the coconut oil and roast in the oven for 20 mins. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Place the seeds & cranberries into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Strain just before adding to the salad.
- Finely slice the spring onions. Slice the celery stalks into rounds. Slice the cucumber in half and remove the soft centre before cutting into rounds.
- For the dressing: stir all the ingredients together until they are smooth.
- To assemble: place the cooled quinoa & bulgur into a large mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients and dressing. Stir to combine.