If you lived with me for a day, you would realise fairly quickly food waste is one of my pet peeves. I literally find a use for every scrap of food in my fridge and constantly remind my housemates not to throw out food without asking me first; as more than likely it can be used. It actually kills me to see perfectly good food in the bin…a little part of me cries inside honestly…I know it sounds a bit mad!!
At home in Tipperary, we have hens so I don’t feel so bad about food scraps as the hens get to feast on them and then supply us with eggs. Leftovers is a thing people always struggle with in the kitchen and this is where this recipe for a quick breakfast delight came about. I haven’t tried it yet but would imagine any leftover grain should do the trick here, I’m thinking brown rice could be a real winner too so get experimenting!
- 100g leftover cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp milled linseed
- 1/2 banana, chopped into slices
- 5 tbsp milk
- Place all the ingredients in a resealable microwave proof container.
- Mix well together, cover with the lid and place in the microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until the milk is well absorbed. You can also place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour the quinoa into a bowl and serve with yoghurt, berries and seeds.