It’s so tough getting up these winter mornings, from the darkness that your body still thinks it’s nighttime to the frosty chill the minute you put a toe outside the covers. That’s why you need something warm and filling to get your warmed up quick whilst also keeping your energy levels maintained for the day ahead. Stewed apples are pure comfort food to me, they are perfect at any time of the day as a quick dessert with a scoop of yoghurt or ice-cream. Likewise the poached plums are great topped with some granola and yoghurt as a simple dessert or breakfast option. Both can be prepared well in advance and will keep fresh in your fridge for at least one week or can be frozen. Stewing and poaching fruit is also a great way to use up fruit a little past it’s best, just remove the gone off bits and you’ll still be left be plenty of fruit to work with.
- 5 small apples, peeled, de-cored, quartered
- 4 plums, halved, de-stoned
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 x portions of Quinoa Porridge
- 4 tsp nut butter
- Place the apples and plums in two separate saucepans.
- Add the vanilla essence to the plums.
- Cover both the apples and plums with just enough water, you don’t want them fully submerged.
- Bring the saucepans to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer with the lid on.
- Continue to cook until the apples are fully broken down into a nice stew. Keep an eye on the plums as you want them cooked through but still to retain their shape.
- Remove from the heat and if your using immediately add to whatever dish you like otherwise allow to cool in the saucepan.
- Once fully cool, transfer to a resealable container and store in the fridge or freezer.
- Prepare the Quinoa Porridge, divide amongst four bowls, top with 2 tablespoons of stewed apple and 1 plum, drizzle over some of the plum syrup and finish with a teaspoon of nut butter.