Garlic, bacon and crispy potatoes – a few of life’s simple pleasures.
I was recently overseas at a wedding with a large group of my friends. As we arrived late to our rented house the night before the wedding, come morning we had no food in the house. A quick trip to the local supermarket for supplies with the thoughts of what to cook my friends that would be quick, easy and filling for the long day ahead. Initially I planned a large frittata but then we somehow managed to forget the eggs at the checkout so here I was left looking at potatoes, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, onions and garlic with the stares of fifteen hungry friends.
Hence this recipe for home fries served with fried garlic onions and a salad of spinach and tomatoes was created. These potatoes would also work great alongside grilled meat, a pie or frittata.
The happiness around that table ensured this recipe had to be shared so please enjoy and share with your friends.
Serves 6 as a side.
- 4 large potatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 100g bacon lardons/rashers/streaky bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Halve the potatoes and cook on high in the microwave for 8 minutes. This gently cooks the potatoes which allows a much more crispier but still fluffy finish in the oven.
- Preheat an oven to 200°C and place the garlic, bacon and olive oil in a large baking tray or ovenproof dish.
- Chop the potatoes into chunks and add to the ovenproof dish.
- Combine all the ingredients together and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until crispy. Stir the potatoes once or twice to ensure an even colour.
- Before serving, squeeze the garlic cloves from their skin and return to the dish.