Salad in my mind should be fresh, crisp and clean; this recipe combines all three. This salad is inspired by a side-dish in Campagne, Kilkenny where you should definitely experience the work of chef Garrett Byrne.
The toasted hazelnut and lemon dressing adds a deep layer of flavour whilst not drowning the leaves.
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 10 florets tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 head baby gem lettuce
- 2 large fistfuls baby leaf spinach
- Handful veg crisps
- Place the hazelnuts in a frying pan over a medium heat and toast until the skin begins to detach.
- Save 1 tablespoon for later, place the remaining hazelnuts in a food processor and blitz to a fine crumble consistency.
- Place the blitzed hazelnuts, oil, lemon juice and zest in a clean jam jar. Tighten the lid and shake to combine. Taste, if you want more lemon just add another squeeze of lemon juice.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil, remove from the heat and add the broccoli. Allow to blanch for 5 minutes, strain and refresh with cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, separate the leaves from the head of baby gem, add the spinach, broccoli, toasted halved hazelnuts and 2 tablespoonfuls of the oil. Mix it all together gently with your hands.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and sprinkle the veg crisps over to finish.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.