Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for reading my food blog, trying out my recipes and giving me so much joy in sharing my kitchen creations with you all throughout 2021!
Many of you might have seen from my social media that I have moved back home to County Tipperary. Therefore a very local ingredient had to be included in my first recipe of 2022. Cashel Blue cheese is literally produced a couple of miles away from my house in Fethard.
A salad to me is good anytime of the year but come Winter you do need to add something warm in there or else big and bold flavours.
If blue cheese ain’t your thing, add in some Feta, ricotta or soft goats cheese instead. Any root vegetable will also work so make sure to use what you have on hand!
For more beetroot inspired creations, find plenty of recipes here.
- 2 large raw beetroot, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- 50g walnuts
- 1 tsp honey
- 150g mixed salad leaves, spinach, kale or chard
- 75g Cashel Blue cheese
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Place the beetroot into an ovenproof dish or baking tray. Mix through the oil and season with salt and pepper before placing in the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes of the beetroot cooking time, add the walnuts to the oven in a separate ovenproof dish.
- Allow the beetroot to cool a little from the oven. Mix the honey through the walnuts until lightly coated.
- To assemble your salad: spread the salad leaves on the bottom of each dish, top with beetroot and walnuts, crumble the cheese over each dish and mix the balsamic vinegar through the leftover oil of the beetroot dish before drizzling on top.