I recently was in a little bit of a recipe inspiration rut and felt a bit under pressure as I needed recipes to update my blog!
Then it came to me, what inspires my recipes?? Sometimes my recipes are inspired to re-create a flavour or dish I’ve tasted eating out, other times it’s inspired by the seasons and this time it was pure emotion!
I wanted to feel cosy and satisfied! Eggs and one pan rustic style dishes make me feel at ease, relaxed and generally very satisfied with minimal effort. So enjoy this Cheddar & Red Onion Filo Pie!
If you can’t get your hands on filo pastry, shortcrust or puff pastry will work fine too. For a crustless pie, simply remove the pastry altogether. Juicy cherry tomatoes or thinly sliced ham works really well in this pie too!
Finally, one last top tip: if you don’t have a quiche or tart baking dish fear not! Use an ovenproof frying pan – make sure to cool fully and your pie will slide out of the pan perfectly.
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- salt & pepper
- 100g white cheddar, grated
- 25g parmesan, grated
- Heat 2 teaspoonfuls of oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the red onions and stir through the oil. Allow to cook low and slow for 20-25 minutes until really soft and almost sticky. Remove from the pan.
- Preheat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F and oil the inside of your quiche dish.
- Lay one filo pastry sheet in the base of your dish and press up the sides. It should begin to stick automatically to the oil. Trim any bits that overhang the top of the dish. Brush this sheet with oil and repeat with another filo pastry sheet. You may have to lay the sheet in a different direction to the first to ensure all sides of the dish are covered. Repeat with the 2 remaining filo pastry sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until just turning golden on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and spread the onions over the base of the dish. If you are adding ham or tomatoes, add them to the dish now.
- Whisk the eggs and milk with some salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Stir through 75g of the cheddar and all of the parmesan. Pour the egg mix over the onions.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before removing from the dish.