Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables but one easily misunderstood! The first time many taste cauliflower is boiled and slathered in a thick creamy cheesy sauce. There is nothing wrong what’s so ever with this but have you had it roasted?? It takes on an extremely nutty taste that is seriously addictive (read more about roasting cauliflower here). Or have you tried cauliflower rice?? You would think it was rice.
This recipe doesn’t involve roasting or blitzing just cutting your cauliflower in florets. Yes, a cheesy sauce is involved but also tons of other vegetables and spices that create a colourful, nourishing and wholesome cauliflower dish that works perfect alongside any main.
The spinach based topping is really versatile can be spread and baked over chicken or turkey breasts. Simply place the meat flat on an ovenproof dish. Spoon the mix on top and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
You can also make this Cheesy Baked Spinach & Cauliflower dish a complete dinner by adding some browned chicken or pulses like chickpeas or butter beans to the mix before placing in the oven to cook through.
Serves 6 as a side.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 220ml creme fraiche/Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 onion, diced
- 200g mozzarella, grated
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 100g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 50g black pitted olives, roughly chopped
- 250g spinach/chard/kale, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Remove the outer cauliflower leaves and keep aside. Separate the cauliflower into florets.
- Blanch the cauliflower florets by placing into boiling water, cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Allow to lightly cook for 5 minutes or until a knife easily pushes through. Strain and refresh until cold running water until cool.
- Mix the creme fraiche, mayonnaise, garlic, dijon, onion and cheese (save some for the top) together.
- Fold in the spinach, sundried tomatoes and olives.
- Place half of the cauliflower in the base of a large ovenproof dish followed by a layer of the spinach mix. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower and spinach mix until all used up.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.