Cauliflower really comes alive when roasted, blitzed into rice or dressed up in a nice sauce. The white florets of the cauliflower aren’t the only stars of the show. The inner leaves of a cauliflower are also delish so discard any damaged outside ones and thinly slice like cabbage the inside ones. Add these delicate inner leaves to the dish alongside the leek during the cooking process.
This Cheesy Cauliflower, Leek & Ham Bake would also work great with leftover chicken or turkey from a roast dinner. Simply swap the leftover chicken or turkey for the ham.
For more great ways to enjoy cauliflower, try my Cheesy Baked Spinach & Cauliflower, cauliflower is gorgeous in a salad when roasted in a mix of curry flavours or find out my all-time favourite way to cook cauliflower here. Browse through my cookbook and you’ll find a great recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Soup too.
Serves 4 as a side.
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 200g leftover ham, roughly chopped
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp cottage cheese
- 6 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp dried or fresh oregano or rosemary
- 50g oats or breadcrumbs
- Preheat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Bring a saucepan with salted water to the boil, add the cauliflower, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 7 minutes until the cauliflower softens. Strain and cool fully under running cold water.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the leek and cook until soft through, add the ham and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in the cauliflower.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the grated cheese, cottage cheese, yoghurt, mustard and herbs together. Add 3/4 of the mix to the saucepan and combine well to thoroughly coat.
- Place this mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Stir the oats or breadcrumbs through the remaining sauce mixture and spread over the top of the cauliflower mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden on top.