What a better way to celebrate a year of the Delalicious blog and St. Valentine’s Day with a layered chocolate cake!! This devine creation was inspired by the amazing dessert counter of Kai Café & Restaurant in Galway (if you haven’t been, you need to visit) and I think an appropriate showstopper to celebrate a year of blogging!! It’s flour and refined sugar free so works well for all. The blueberry cream cheese icing is deliciously light compared to regular buttercream icing whilst the cake is moist and deceivingly light.
- 125g dark chocolate
- 65g butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 50g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs, separated
- 125g blueberries
- 1 generous tbsp honey
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 100g cream cheese
- 50g creme fraiche
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat an oven to 180°C. Grease and line three 20cm round tins (Tiger did heart shaped paper cases last year so keep an eye out for more this year).
- For the coulis: place all the ingredients in a small saucepan with 5 tablespoons of water. Over a medium heat bring the pan to the boil, reduce to a simmer, stir frequently bursting the blueberries as you go until it forms a sticky sauce. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water.
- Place the ground almonds, honey and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl. Once the chocolate has melted stir together.
- Add one egg yolk at a time into the chocolate mix until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks & stir though the chocolate mix until you get a glossy finish.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the three tins.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Allow to cool in the tins and then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make your icing: place all the ingredients in a bowl and lightly whisk together. Add 3 tablespoons of the blueberry coulis into the icing until you get a nice purple colour (just add more or less to your preference). Place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to stiffen or until you are ready to assemble.
- To assemble: place a even layer of the blueberry coulis followed by a layer of blueberry icing over the top of two chocolate layers. Layer these two layers on top of eachother. Finally place the third layer on top and finish with a layer of blueberry icing.
- Scatter over some fresh blueberries to serve.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.