These Cinnamong & Apple Crumble Squares combine a shortbread base with a soft cinnamon sponge layer topped with seasonal apples and a crunchy crumble topping.
Gluten-free flour can be substituted for plain flour to ensure they are friendly to all. Simply add good company for the perfect treat.
When apples are out of season, use plums, pears, berries or any other fruit you fancy using!
Makes 20 squares.
- 125g butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp honey
- 290g plain white flour
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- 2 tbsp mixed nuts
- Preheat an oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F. Line a large rectangular baking tray or ovenproof dish with parchment.
- Base: place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and rub the butter through until a breadcrumb like mixture is formed. Press this mixture into the base of your tin using the back of a spoon until an even base is formed. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Filling: Place the honey and butter into the mixing bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Add all the remaining filling ingredients excluding the apple and whisk again until well combined. Reserve 3 tbsp of the mixture for the topping.
- Spread the filling on top of the cooked base and scatter the apple slices on top.
- Topping: stir the seeds and nuts through the reserved filling mix. and crumble over the apple slices.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and cooling fully on a wire rack and cutting into square portions.