This is an easy peasy loaf to make and is sure to get everyone loving courgette…the addition of dark chocolate obviously helps!!
I love banana bread but also love using vegetables in my baking. This Courgette, Banana & Dark Chocolate Loaf recipe is a spin on my Dark Chocolate and Walnut Banana Bread from the DELALICIOUS cookbook.
Courgette is a great vegetable to cook with as it absorbs flavours so well. It is also naturally sweet and full of moisture so results in a really moist loaf once baked.
If you don’t fancy any vegetables in your sweet options. Then simply leave out the courgette and add an extra egg and banana to the mix. This loaf can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free oats or a suitable flour blend.
It may be tempting to gobble the entire loaf in one sitting but if you want to save some for another time – allow to cool fully, slice into portions or keep it whole, wrap in parchment and freeze.
For more great vegetable baking ideas, try my Spiced Apple & Carrot Squares.
Makes 1 loaf.
- 140g jumbo oats
- 50g oat flour/pinhead oatmeal/plain white flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 30g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 30g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 125g courgette, coarsely grated
- 50g melted butter/oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- Preheat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F and line a loaf tin with parchment.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir through the grated courgette.
- Whisk the oil, honey, bananas and eggs together until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and to cool fully on a wire rack.