Just a few of my favourite things are in the title of this recipe! Crispy…like who doesn’t like crisps, the crunch of batter or just a crispy apple. Cheesy…a small bit goes a long way to add a real punch to any dish. Spuds…I am Irish after all and just adore spuds. Spinach…I love my greens so replace with your favourite green as required!
Without further ado, add any kind of tasty addition that you might have at hand in your fridge to this Crispy Cheesy Spuds & Spinach recipe and you are sorted for a feast.
- 3-4 medium potatoes (Maris Piper or any floury type of spud)
- butter or oil
- sea-salt and pepper
- 4 x eggs
- 50ml milk/cream/plain Greek-style yoghurt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g spinach, roughly chopped
- cheese – any kind you like or a mix
- Grate the potatoes unpeeled into a large bowl. Use the largest grater edge that you have. Sprinkle a little salt over the potatoes and allow to sit x 5 mins.
- Squeeze excess water from the potatoes and pat dry with a clean tea-towel or paper towel.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of butter or oil in a ovenproof frying pan or casserole dish over a medium heat until butter has melted.
- Add the potatoes and immediately start pressing into base and sides of pan to form a crust. Keep cooking and pressing the potatoes for 10 minutes down into the pan until bound together and bottom starts to brown.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- In a separate frying pan or saucepan, heat 1 tsp of oil over a medium heat and fry off the onions and garlic until soft through. Spread the onions over the potato crust.
- Remove the dry pan to the heat and wilt down the spinach. Spread over the potato crust.
- Whisk the eggs and milk with some pepper together in a large bowl or jug and pour over the spinach. Sprinkle your cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs are fully set in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.