Here’s the first recipe in my series showcasing the produce of Cahir Farmers Market. This market is close to my home in Tipperary and one packed with produce from local farmers, producers, bakers, creators and fish from neighbouring County Waterford.
When I was travelling, I sought out local markets, roadside stalls and street vendors like nobody’s business. I found these were the best places to buy small amounts of really good quality produce. Sometimes the food was described in extremely bad Spanish by me throughout South America but a taste and a smile never needs translation! I found I easily lost these habits and returned to supermarket shopping once I returned to Ireland.
Don’t get me wrong, I still shop in supermarkets but endeavour to buy at least some of my weekly shop from independent stores, farmers markets or direct from the producers themselves where possible. Not only will you be able to purchase products that are produced only a few miles or metres away but also get to know the person behind the item. Learn their why in life for producing food and some of the best cooking tips I’ve ever received!
Let’s be honest crispy spuds (potatoes for anyone not from Ireland!) are one of life’s simple pleasures!!
When the spuds are literally grown only a few miles out the road from where you buy them, they taste even better as they are so fresh and you get to meet the people who planted, cared for them and picked them. Pat O’Brien who sells his spuds every Saturday at Cahir Farmers Market is an expert at growing the fluffiest potatoes and this Crispy Spuds recipe is simply delish.
Serve these crispy spuds alongside grilled meat, any kind of an egg dish or with some salad for a quick and easy meal. They would also be a great side for a brunch feast.
Keep your eyes peeled for a Cahir Farmers Market recipe popping up in my weekly recipes over the coming months!
Serves 6 as a side.
- 400g golden wonder potatoes from Pat O’Brien
- 6 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 3 tbsp Emerald Oils rapeseed
- 3 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt/creme fraiche
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Halve the potatoes and cook on high in the microwave for 8 minutes or steam until tender. This gently cooks the potatoes which allows a much more crispier but still fluffy finish in the oven.
- Preheat an oven to 220°C/200°C fan/475°F and place the garlic cloves and oil in a large baking tray or ovenproof dish.
- Once tender, chop the potatoes into chunks and add to the ovenproof dish.
- Combine all the ingredients together and cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until crispy. Stir the potatoes once or twice to ensure an even colour.
- Before serving, squeeze the garlic cloves from their skin and return to the dish.
- For the curry mayo: simply whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve on the side for dipping.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Get your copy of the DELALICIOUS – A Full Plate For A Full Life cookbook here!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.