Eggs – I personally had a love-hate relationship with these guys for a long time!! It’s a bit strange as I have hens at home and use them to bake all the time. However, put a poached, fried, scrambled or boiled egg in front of me and I will run a mile!!
I did discover that if I disguised eggs with other ingredients just like in baking, I could manage to finish my plate.
First came frittatas and then came these delicious cupcake quiches! These mini quiches are bursting with lots of natural protein from the eggs and will make sure you reach your five a day quota with plenty of vegetables.
These cupcake quiches freeze perfectly and act as a quick post-training or lunchbox filler alongside some salad. Or why not try them as a quick breakfast or brunch option with some wilted greens and a dash of my homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce.
You can substitute the mackerel with salmon, tuna, ham,chicken or exclude completely as you like!
When reheating from frozen, allow to defrost fully and reheat on high in a microwave for 1 minute.
Makes 12, serving =2.
- 4 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets, flaked
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 5 medium mushrooms, finely sliced
- 50g feta cheese, cubed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat an oven to 180°C and line a cupcake tray with silicone cases or else grease each section with some melted coconut oil.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the mackerel, vegetables and feta.
- Season with some pepper and whisk all the ingredients together.
- Evenly pour the mixture amongst the cases and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Leave to cool in the cases and gently ease out onto a wire rack.