Daal like a stew is just comfort food for me!!
I’m using puy, beluga or urad lentils in this recipe versus green, brown or red lentils as when cooked they add a little bit more of a bite compared to the really soft texture of other lentils.
Ethnic stores are a great place to shop for spices, dried herbs, lentils and pulses. There is usually a much larger variety with cheaper prices than a regular supermarket.
If you don’t have coconut cream at home, simply use the thickened cream that rises to the top of an unopened tin of coconut milk. Place the remainder of the can into a resealable container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
For a veggie option, simply leave out the prawns and stir in extra leafy vegetables like kale or spinach. Tofu could be a great optional addition too.
- 100g puy/beluga/urad lentils
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard or 1/2 mustard seeds
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 25g ginger, grated
- 150ml coconut cream
- 200ml hot vegetable stock
- 200g pre-cooked prawns
- 200g broccoli
- Ideally pre-soak the lentils overnight in water. If you are short on time, cover the lentils with boiling hot water and 1 tsp of baking soda and allow to pre-soak for at least 20 minutes. Strain and rinse thoroughly before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat, add the onions and garlic and cook until soft through.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop. Stir through all the spices and ginger until well combined.
- Stir in the rinsed lentils followed by the coconut cream and stock. Bring the pan to a boil, return to a simmer and cover with the lid of a frying pan or plate. Allow to cook until the lentils are fully soft – about 30 minutes. Remember to stir frequently to ensure they don’t stick.
- Before serving, scatter the prawns and broccoli over the top of the pan, cover and allow the steam within the pan to cook and reheat them through.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Get your copy of the DELALICIOUS – A Full Plate For A Full Life cookbook here!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.