How do you make a snack tasty, filling, somewhat healthy, use only staple ingredients and most importantly stick together??
This was the exact challenge I set myself making these granola bars! Trial one tasted good but was very crumbly. No the result I wanted for these snacks that could be packed for a hike, cycle or popped into a gear-bag for before or after training.
Back to the kitchen I went and the magic happened. Egg whites! A simple answer to many a problem. Egg whites when beaten turn into this amazing poofy material, somewhere up there with what clouds must feel like I think. They are also packed with protein so brilliant binding agents for burgers, baking and are muscles.
I would highly recommend the dark chocolate drizzle over the top but not essential. Milk or white chocolate can be used or chunks added into the mix too. Use whatever mix of seeds and nuts you like or have at hand.
For more tasty snacks check out my favourites here!
Makes 16 squares.
- 200g oats
- 25g milled chia or flax seed
- 75g nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp chai spice or 1/2 tsp cinnamon *optional
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 medium or 2 large eggs, seperated
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat an oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F and line a 21cm square sandwich tin with parchment.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil, honey and egg yolks together until well combined. Stir into the dry ingredients with a fork until well coated.
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand or electric whisk until thick peaks form. Fold the beated egg whites through the mix.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top before cutting into squares.
- Store in a resealable container in a cool space or the fridge in hot weather to keep fresh for 4-5 days.