Courgettes are having a ridiculously good season this year in Ireland!! Anyone who is growing their own have enjoyed whopper sized courgettes.
Recipe inspiration for me comes in the weirdest and randomest of locations! I had roasted courgettes in this simple spice mix before but it didn’t quite work out so well. This time around I decided to grill the courgette after seeing Ottolenghi do the same to much better success.
The yoghurt sauce adds a nice cooling effect to the chilli on the courgette and well salted fresh tomatoes gives another kick of fresh flavour. This yoghurt sauce is incredible as a dip for falafel, meatballs or as a salad drizzle.
Serve this Grilled Courgette Salad alongside some falafel, roasted fish or chicken for an effortless dinner.
For another great courgette recipe, try my Courgetti Prawn recipe in my cookbook!
Serves 4 as a side.
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 1/2 tsp vegetable stock
- 400ml water
- 2 medium courgettes or 1 large one, cut into length ways thick strips
- pepper & salt
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Place the bulgur wheat, water and stock in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil with the lid on. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Once cooked, fluff up the grains with a fork and allow to cool.
- Heat the grill section of your oven to high or place a dry grill pan over a medium heat.
- Season the courgettes with 1 tbsp oil, salt, pepper and the chilli until well combined. Oven grill – lay the courgettes flat on a roasting tray and place under the grill, turn over after 10 minutes to crisp up the other side. Grill pan – cook the courgettes in batches, flipping over half way through also. Once cooked, allow to cool off the heat or out of the oven.
- Mix the diced tomatoes with 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp of any leftover oil juice from the grill pan or oven roasting tray.
- Whisk the yoghurt, tahini, paprika and lemon together in a small bowl.
- To assemble: spread 2 tbsp of the yoghurt mix on the base of a serving plate, add the cooled grains on top, create a well in the middle and place the tomatoes here. Arrange the cooled courgettes on top and drizzle with some more of the yoghurt mix.