Sometimes you need lots of words to describe recipes. Other times you only need three – Guinness or stout beer, chocolate & brownie!!
Three epic words that I’m sure are some of your favourite drinks or types of sweet things! Blended together they create a pretty epic Guinness & Walnut Brownie. Double chocolate from both dark chocolate and cocoa powder works very well alongside the rich Guinness or stout beer flavour.
Make use of the leftover can of Guinness in my Pumpkin Seed Soda Bread loaf. Swap in the Guinness for some milk to create another great bake.
- 120ml Guinness or stout beer
- 150g butter or coconut oil
- 130g dark chocolate
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 30g oats
- 75g walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F and line a square baking tin with parchment.
- Place the Guinness in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer until the volume reduces by one third. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter with 100g of the dark chocolate together in a bowl in the microwave or over a pan of simmering hot water.
- Place the caster sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Whisk in the Guinness and melted ingredients until well combined.
- Sieve in the flour, cocoa powder and salt until well combined. Finally stir through the oats and 50g of the walnuts.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and scatter the remaining chocolate and walnuts over the top. Bake in the oven for 28-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. A little wobble in the centre of your brownie is okay!
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and cooling fully on a wire rack.