A lot of people tell me “mocha” coffees are the gateway into coffee drinking. I don’t think I’m going to become a coffee drinker anytime soon but a potential regular Hazelnut Mocha Muffin maker!!
I think hazelnuts are easily my favourite of the nut world. They must be roasted and are heavenly in any kind of a bake. For these muffins, I have replaced some flour with blitzed roasted hazelnuts. If you are short on hazelnuts or want to go nut-free – then simply replace with the same quantity of plain flour!
Another chocolate drizzle on top could also be a very worthwhile addition!!
- 200g sour cream
- 150ml lukewarm coffee (I used 1 tsp instant coffee with 150ml water)
- 75ml oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g flour
- 50g blitzed roasted hazelnuts
- 40g cocoa powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g dark or milk chocolate
- 100g sour cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 20g roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F. Line or grease a muffin tray.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Sieve in the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder in 3 batches. Add some blitzed hazelnuts at each stage too and fold in with a wooden spoon or spatula after each sieve batch until it forms a smooth muffin batter.
- Divide among the prepared muffin tray.
- Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray before removing and cooling fully on a wire rack.
- While the muffins cool, make the topping: melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the sour cream, coffee and maple syrup together in a bowl until smooth. Add the cooled melted chocolate and whisk again. Place in the fridge until required.
- To serve: spread a generous dollop of the topping on each muffin followed by a sprinkle of hazelnuts.
- Store in the fridge once topped or in an airtight container for 4 days.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Get your copy of the DELALICIOUS – A Full Plate For A Full Life cookbook here!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.