Yes even veggies can have sausage rolls!! You just have to leave out the sausage and change up the ingredients a little!
Portion sizes really depend on whether you want tons for finger food at a party or a larger portion to have as lunch or a tea option.
The filling can be prepared in advance and stored in your fridge until it is time to bake. The rolls also freeze incredibly well, I would recommend putting in a resealable box with a sheet of parchment between each roll.
Makes 10 medium sized rolls or 24 smaller rolls.
- 2 tbsp chutney – mango or apricot chutney or Ballymaloe relish
- 1 egg with a dash of milk
- 1 roll ready-to-bake puff-pastry
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
For the Meaty ones:
- 400g sausage meat
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
For the Veggie ones:
- 400g carrots, cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Meaty: simple mix the sausage meat and fennel seeds together in a large mixing bowl.
- Veggie: place the carrots in a roasting tin with a little salt, pepper and oil for 20 minutes or until soft through. Blitz the roasted carrots with 3/4 of the chickpeas in a food processor until a rough texture is formed. Stir in the remaining whole chickpeas and smoked paprika until well combined.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and set aside.
- Roll out the puff-pastry on a clean surface and cut in length ways.
- Spread the chutney lengthways down the middle of the two sheets of pastry.
- Spoon the Meaty or Veggie mixture on top of the chutney.
- Roll one side of the pastry over the mix, brush this folded pastry side with some of the egg wash, now fold over the other side of pastry to close the roll. Brush the entire top facing side of the pastry with egg wash.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top.
- Cut into your preferred roll side.
- Transfer to a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.