This Mushroom & Hazelnut Stuffed Squash has humble Winter food written all over it for me!
If you had some leftover bread or breadcrumbs in the freezer these could be sprinkled over the top of each squash to create a really crunchy topping.
All you need is some roast chicken or even turkey alongside it and you are set!
Try my Squash, Lentil & Pistachio Salad for another great butternut squash recipe.
Serves 6 as a side.
- 1 butternut squash
- salt & pepper
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150g spinach
- 100g feta cheese, diced
- 25g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Cut the butternut squash in halve length ways and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Using a sharp knife, cross hatch the flesh side of each butternut squash half. Drizzle the flesh with a teaspoonful of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash flesh side up on a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft through.
- Heat two teaspoonfuls of oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft through. Stir the mushrooms through and continue to cook until they have softened. Remove the mushroom mix from the pan to a large mixing bowl. Some juice might run from the vegetables, simply strain before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Return the frying pan to the heat and wilt the spinach.
- Once the squash has cooled a little, use a fork to scrape out the flesh. Ensure to leave a border of flesh inside the skin to maintain the squash shape. Add the flesh to the mushroom mix.
- Add the spinach, feta and hazelnuts to the mushroom mix and combine well together.
- Spoon the mushroom mix back into the squash shells.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Get your copy of the DELALICIOUS – A Full Plate For A Full Life cookbook here!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.