There is something about tacos that reminds me of travel and parties!! This Mushroom & Lentil Taco recipe is packed with flavour, uses everyday ingredients and is bound to please even the biggest meat eater!
In terms of adding extra topping, please go wild! Go where your senses take you and don’t be shy to mix things up and try each taco with a different topping combination. You can easily add beef, chicken, turkey, lamb or pork mince too. Replace half of the lentil quantity with your favourite mince.
This mushroom and lentil filling keeps really well and in my opinion is actually better the next day!! You could also freeze it once fully cooled.
For another great taco recipe try my much loved, Red Kidney Bean & Chorizo Tacos.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 200g pre-cooked and drained green or brown lentils
- 125ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp soy or tamari sauce
- To serve: taco shells, creme fraiche or yoghurt, tomato salsa, red cabbage slaw, pickles
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until soft through. Add the garlic, spices, salt and tomato paste and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock and soy sauce. Gently bring to a simmer for 5 minutes before reducing to the lowest heat and allowing to cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the sauce to really infuse with the veg and lentils.
- When you are ready to serve, gently reheat again before prepping your tacos and adding your preferred toppings.