Like the majority of my recipes, the results are trialed and tested amongst friends, family or my Physio colleagues.
These Oat & Chia Energy Balls were the top pick from a selection of different variations I brought into work one day for sampling during our morning break.
I used a food processor when making mine but a handheld stick blender will do just as good a job! If using the stick blender, I would recommend putting all the ingredients into a tall jug or smoothie bottle.
If you can get your hands on a chai spice mix then do, it adds a really good kick of flavour to these balls of energy. I use Cork based Remedy Roots chai spice mix that can also be used to make your own chai latte at home!
These Oat & Chia Energy Balls will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 7 days once stored in an airtight container.
- 60g oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or 1 tsp chai spice mix
- 10 pecans or walnuts
- Juice of 1 orange
- 50g dark chocolate, diced
- Dessicated coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Chia seeds
- Place all the ingredients except the dark chocolate in a food processor or blender.
- Blitz until a smooth paste is formed.
- Stir through the dark chocolate.
- Spread some dessicated coconut, cocoa powder and chia seeds on 3 separate plates.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the oat mix into balls between your palms before rolling in the coating of your preference.
- Continue with the remaining mixture.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.