Spelt can be a bit messy to work with, so be prepared to get your hands full of dough whilst shaping these scones but they are well worth it!
Simply serve with soup, salad or else simply top with jam, hummus or nut butter.
Makes 15 scones.
- 200g oats
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 200g spelt wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp milled linseed
- 1 heaped tsp bread soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the oats to a large mixing bowl and stir through the oil and 300ml of the milk. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and line with parchment 2 baking trays.
- Add the flour, linseed, seeds, bread soda and salt to the oats and mix together whilst gradually adding the remaining buttermilk until it forms a loose dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and evenly flatten the dough to about 1 inch thick. Cut into squares using a knife and place onto the baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.