Recipe ideas sometimes just drop out of the sky for me when I am busy doing non-cooking related things. Other moments of cooking inspiration often appear when I have literally a handful of ingredients and don’t know what to do with them.
This recipe came about whilst travelling Australia. I was staying with friends, living on a meagre budget and had eggs, a few greens, a tin of beans and a bag of nuts to my name in terms of food.
I whipped all the ingredients together and along came this salad. I packed a big lunchbox of the salad and this kept me going whilst exploring the Blue Mountains (this area is a must if you visit Sydney!).
Serves 2 or 1 really hungry person.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- dash of milk
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 large handful broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 large handful kale, de-stemmed and roughly torn
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 x 200g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 sugar snap beans or mangetout, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp almonds
- 2 tsp frenchie dressing
- Heat an non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and melt the coconut oil.
- Whisk together the egg, garlic, milk and water.
- Evenly cover the frying pan with the egg mixture and cook through. Once cooked, remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broccoli for 5 minutes. Strain and refresh under running cold water until fully cooled.
- In a large mixing bowl: massage the salt through the kale until it turns a darker shade of green.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the kale.
- Roll the cooled omelette into a crepe and thinly slice into rounds.
- Add to the other ingredients and mix together until well combined.