This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover potatoes. Simply mash the potatoes with the milk from the cooked fish and follow the remaining recipe steps.
You could also add wilted spinach or corn to the mixture. A few shrimp or prawns would also work well with the fish mix.
For some added crunch, sprinkle mixed seeds over the fishcakes with the Feta cheese before baking in the oven.
Serve with a mix of salads like my Asian Radish & Cucumber Salad or Carrot & Seed Slaw featured in my cookbook.
I made this recipe live last week on IrelandAM and you can watch it back here!
Makes 15 fishcakes.
- 250g fresh smoked fish fillets e.g. haddock, coley
- 220g fresh salmon fillets
- 150ml milk
- 250g potatoes, washed and peeled if not new season or Queens potatoes
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, coriander or mint, roughly chopped
- 50g Feta cheese
Caper & Mint Dip:
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g plain yoghurt
- Preheat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place the fish in the base of an ovenproof pyrex or ceramic roasting or casserole dish.
- Pour the milk over the fish, place a lid on top and poach in the oven for 15 minutes or until the fish is flaky soft through.
- While the fish cooks, boil or steam the potatoes until soft through.
- Remove the fish from the dish and set aside on a plate.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the milk and mash together.
- Return the fish to the mashed potatoes with all the remaining ingredients except for the feta.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into cakes between your palms and place on the lined baking tray. Continue until no mixture remains.
- Crumble the feta over the top of the fishcakes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden crisp on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Allow to cool fully before storing in the fridge or freezer.
- For the dip: simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.