If you lived with me for a day, you would realise fairly quickly food waste is one of my pet peeves. I literally find a use for every scrap of food in my fridge and constantly remind my housemates not to throw out food without asking me first; as more than likely it can be used. It actually kills me to see perfectly good food in the bin…a little part of me cries inside honestly…I know it sounds a bit mad!!
At home in Tipperary, we have hens so I don’t feel so bad about food scraps as the hens get to feast on them and then supply us with eggs. Leftovers is a thing people always struggle with in the kitchen and this is where this recipe for a quick breakfast delight came about. I haven’t tried it yet but would imagine any leftover grain should do the trick here, I’m thinking brown rice could be a real winner too so get experimenting!
- 100g leftover cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp milled linseed
- 1/2 banana, chopped into slices
- 5 tbsp milk
- Place all the ingredients in a resealable microwave proof container.
- Mix well together, cover with the lid and place in the microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until the milk is well absorbed. You can also place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour the quinoa into a bowl and serve with yoghurt, berries and seeds.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.