So this taco recipe is hands down the tastiest dinner I have created in a long time. Not only are these Red Kidney Bean & Chorizo Tacos absolutely delicious but they are super easy and quick to make too!!
If you don’t have taco shells at home, use a regular tortilla and make a burrito or else cut the tortilla in half for a smaller more taco style portion. Use pitta breads or even a slice of crusty bread will work well. Actually, a slice of sweet potato cooked in the toaster would be a great vessel for this bean and chorizo taco mix too.
For veggies and vegans: swap out the chorizo for extra beans or smoked tofu. If you don’t have chorizo at hand, use rashers, bacon lardons, leftover ham or even roast beef or lamb. Minced beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey would also work great.
Serves 2, makes 6 tacos.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced or 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 150g chorizo, diced
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika/cayenne pepper or optional extra 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- taco shells
- Toppings: hummus, pesto, salad leaves, radish, thinly sliced red cabbage
- Heat 1 teaspoonful of oil in a small saucepan or frying pan.
- Once the oil is heated, add the garlic, onions and tomatoes. Cook until soft through for 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir regularly to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Stir in the beans and smoked paprika, cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Then begin to bash your beans up. Juice should have released from the tomatoes during the cooking process that will help with the bean bashing. If the mixture looks too dry, add a little water.
- Once you are happy with the level of bean bashing, cover with a lid and remove from the heat.
- Place a dry frying pan over a low-medium heat and place a taco shell one at a time. Flip the taco over once browned or you see it swell up. Repeat with the remaining tacos.
- The next step is the best: taco filling time. Pick your added extras and spread your bean & chorizo filling on top.