Recipe inspiration comes for me from lots of different locations – a sight, a sense, a taste, a smell, a feeling.
These Salted Peanut Butter Balls come about through tasting a similar peanut butter creation in One Kinda Folk coffee shop, seeing a recipe from Susan Jane White and then rummaging in my food press to see what ingredients I had at hand.
If you don’t want to use protein or have it at home, then just leave out and replace with some more oats and coconut. Go mad and try different types of chocolate for the topping. Add some citrus zest for an extra layer of flavour.
- 60g oats
- 2 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut
- 40g protein powder (use vanilla or unflavoured)
- 1 tsp crushed sea salt
- 2 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
- 5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 40g dark chocolate
- Blitz the oats in a food processor, coffee grinder or jug with a stick blender.
- Mix the oats with all the remaining ingredients excluding the dark chocolate in a bowl until well combined and beginning to stick together.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a simmering saucepan of water.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of the oat and peanut butter mix with the palms of your hands into ball shapes. Repeat until all the mix is used up.
- Roll each peanut butter ball in the melted chocolate or drizzle with some chocolate as you like.
- Set in the fridge for 20 minutes before enjoying. Store in the fridge or freezer.