This Slow Cooked Tomato Sauce is a bit of a one hit wonder!!
Use it for bolognese, ratatoutille (a fancy word for roasted vegetables in a tomato sauce), meatballs, on top of roasted aubergine with cheese or simply stir it through pasta for an epic meal! I promise you might be licking the bowl or plate clean!!
Don’t forget your meatball recipe here. Make sure to freeze any leftover sauce for a quick freezer dinner!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion or 4 shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sweet red peppers, de-seeded and cut in half
- 1 x 50g tin anchovies
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Place the garlic, onion and red peppers into a roasting tin or ovenproof dish. Drain the oil from the anchovies and drizzle over the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. (If you are using other roast vegetables in your final dish, add them to the oven now and set aside once cooked.)
- Once the vegetables are roasted through. Heat a large saucepan over a low heat, add the drained anchovies to the pan, squeeze the garlic from its cloves first before adding to the saucepan with the onion and red peppers.
- Pour the tinned tomatoes over everything. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover for 1 hour. Stir the saucepan regularly.
- Season with the worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper before blending to a smooth consistency.
- Use immediately or cool fully before storing in the fridge or freezer in a resealable container.