Winter days in my mind call for hearty and colourful food! Think of a steaming bowl of porridge, a warming cup of soup, a big bowl of spicy curry or a nourishing stew.
The secret for cold or damp days is to heat from the inside out and this is where spices, herbs and hot dishes come into their own. Smoked paprika, chorizo and smoked fish are a match made in heaven and these three are the stars of this recipe.
For any non-meat eaters, sub out the chorizo and add some more smoked paprika. For veggies or vegans, sub out the chorizo and fish, add more smoked paprika and another type of lentil or bean – kidney, chickpea, sturdy lentils like green or brown would work well.
For more great Winter dinners, try my Creamy Mushroom, Spinach & Lentil Chicken Bake, my slow-cooked Beef, Spinach & Chickpea Curry or my warming Ginger & Mint Yellow Curry.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp fennel or coriander seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 100g chorizo, cut into half moon shapes
- 4 fillets of smoked fish – haddock, coley or similar, cut into bite size pieces
- 200g bulgur wheat or rice
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 200g spinach
- 100g frozen peas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft through.
- Stir in the celery, carrot and red pepper and continue to cook until soft through.
- Mix through the fennel seeds and smoked paprika followed by the chorizo. Continue to cook the chorizo until the juices begin to release.
- Next add in the fish pieces and bulgur wheat.
- Increase the heat and pour in the stock. Bring the saucepan to a boil, before covering with a lid and turning down low to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer for 20 minutes until the bulgur wheat and fish are cooked through.
- Finally, stir through the butter beans, spinach and frozen peas until hot through.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of yoghurt on top.