I recently got a challenge from some of my friends to make a recipe using chicken and beans and this is the very tasty result. I’ve added a few more ingredients but all items you will easily find in your cupboards at home.
The tomato based sauce can be prepared ahead and frozen in batches or stored in the fridge. The sauce works great as a base for pasta dishes or mixed through some mince or shredded chicken for a quick and easy dinner.
Serve the chicken with rice, mashed potatoes/vegetables or steamed green vegetables.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 paprika
- 1 tbsp Tabasco or hot chilli sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin cannellini/butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 large handfuls spinach
- 3 rashers, chopped or 50g bacon lardons
- 5 chicken breasts/thighs
- Preheat an oven to 160°C.
- Over a medium heat, fry off the chopped rashers in a large saucepan. Once nicely browned, remove to the side and rinse the pan.
- Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the cooked rashers, dried herbs, spices and tomatoes to the pan and continue to cook until the sauce begins to bubble. (At this stage you could place the sauce into a container, allow to cool and place in the fridge or freezer for future use.)
- Reduce the heat and stir through the beans and spinach before transferring to a large ovenproof dish.
- Rinse the saucepan and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Nestle the chicken breasts amongst the bean mix and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.