Inspired by the pages of Fearless Food, a cookbook by author and cookery school owner Lynda Booth. This humble pie brings together a few of my favourite things: vegetables, hummus and crumble. The crumble topping isn’t sweet but savoury with nuts, herbs and cheese.
This pie can be made with or without the pastry bottom. Store bought hummus will work fine. However, making your own hummus is really easy I promise and allows you to explore different flavours so why not give it a go! Any root vegetables can be used in this crumble pie too.
- Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 200g turnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 large aubergine, cubed
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4cm root ginger, grated
- 75g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 50g hazelnuts, halved
- 50g dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 225g fresh spinach or chard
- 1 packet of puff pastry, at room temperature
- 400g hummus
- 70g oats
- 10g pistachios
- 10g hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped sage
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- Preheat an oven to 180°C.
- Melt two teaspoons of coconut oil in a roasting tin. Once melted mix through the spices, salt and cubed sweet potato and turnip.
- In another roasting tin, mix the tamari and aubergine together.
- Place both roasting tins in the oven. Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, pistachios and hazelnuts stirring regularly. Once the nuts begin to brown, add the cranberries, honey and spinach.
- Toss until the spinach wilts. Remove from the heat and mix through the roasted vegetables.
- Make the hummus as per recipe.
- For the savoury crumble topping: place the oats in a food processor or use a handheld blender. Blitz until a breadcrumb appearance is formed. Add the nuts and blitz until slightly crushed.
- Place the blitzed oats and nuts in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Line the base and sides of a lasagne dish with the puff pastry. Place half the vegetable mix on the base. Spread half the hummus over the vegetables. Add the remainder of the vegetables on top followed the hummus. Sprinkle over the crumble topping and the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.