I’m sure there is many of us wishing we were somewhere tropical or foreign at the moment!
The thing is food for me always has the power to transport me to somewhere different. The rich flavours of a Thai or Indian curry, the sharp hit of lime or chilli in a Mexican dish or the intense sweetness of dulce de leche always reminds me of Argentinian breakfasts.
So maybe we can’t travel that far at the moment but flavours, dishes and recipes from all over the world can travel to our kitchens through our minds, creativity and choice of ingredients.
These Tropical Energy Balls are made up of simple spices and ingredients that are easy to find in any supermarket. A mix of oats and nuts can be used, dates can replace figs, cinnamon can be subbed for ginger and any coating can be used!
- 150g nuts (cashews or almonds)
- 150g dates, pre-soaked in water
- 35g ground linseed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 60g dried apricot or mango, diced
- desiccated coconut to coat
- Toast the nuts in an oven at 200°C/180°C fan/400°F or a dry frying pan for 8 minutes or until beginning to turn golden.
- Blitz all the ingredients excluding the apricot or mango together in a food processor until smooth.
- Remove the mix to a bowl & stir through the apricot or mango pieces with a fork.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mix together between the palms of your hands into balls. Repeat until all the mix is used.
- Spread the desiccated coconut on a plate and roll each ball in it to coat.