This Tuna & Veg Fried Rice dish is literally an empty the fridge and press special!! A great way to use what you have and eliminate food waste.
Fried rice, I personally think just can’t be passed up when you’re getting a takeaway or eating out. At home, it is incredibly easy to do and is a recipe that you can really make your own.
Swap in and out the vegetables I have used for whatever you have at hand. Likewise, instead of using tinned tuna why not mackerel, salmon or leftover cooked meat or fish. Turn it completely veggie by using tempeh or tofu.
- 2 large handfuls spinach, kale or chard
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 150g frozen peas
- 250g cooked rice or uncooked noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds or mixed seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1 x tin Shines Tuna, drained
- Serving suggestions: pickled red onion or ginger, edamame beans or sliced radish
- Heat a dry frying pan or wok over a medium heat, add the spinach and allow to wilt fully. Stir through the carrots with the peas and keep stirring until the peas are defrosted.
- Stir through the cooked rice (if using noodles, cook as per packet first and add to dish now) with the oil and sauces with the seeds until the seeds begin to pop.
- Crack the eggs directly into the pan, allow to cook until the egg whites begin to turn white. Then, swirl the eggs with a spatula through the dish until fully cooked and scrambled through all the rice and veg.
- To serve: remove from the pan and divide between two bowls, spread the tuna on top with of the extra serving suggestions.