Did you know salads don’t have to be cold??
A warm salad is divine, yes there will be an element that is cold but everything else is toasty and full of warmth. If you don’t believe me then try out this Warm Lentil, Root Veg & Chicken Salad.
Remember to mix up the root vegetables depending on the season that you are cooking in. I find the seasonal food calendars from Stop Food Waste really useful to plan my meals and recipes each month.
- 2 small beetroot or 1 medium beetroot, chopped into chunks
- 1/4 celeriac, peeled & chopped into chunks
- 1 chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 1 x 400g tin brown lentils, drained & rinsed
- 2 large handfuls kale, de-stemmed & roughly shredded
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Toss the beetroot and celeriac with some oil, salt and pepper before placing into a large roasting tin or tray. Add the chicken breast to the same roasting tin and season with pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Add the walnuts for the last 5 minutes to lightly toast.
- Place the lentils in a bowl or saucepan, season with salt and heat in the microwave or over a low heat.
- Place the kale in a bowl and rub through a pinch of salt until it begins to turn a dark green colour.
- Mix the yoghurt and lemon juice together until you get a runny drizzling sauce.
- To assemble: divide the lentils between two bowls or plates. Add the kale on top. Chop the chicken into long strips and add to the plate with the roasted veg. Finally place the walnuts on top and drizzle with the lemony yoghurt sauce.