I really hope by now we know the importance of reducing food waste in our kitchens. Bananas are notoriously often top of kitchen waste lists.
These Zero Waste Oat Bars will help eliminate any overripe banana waste in your kitchen. Freezing overripe bananas is another easy way to reduce waste and ensure that you have a banana ready for smoothies and baking at a moments notice.
Makes 12 bars.
- 1 overripe banana, top & tail
- 100g nut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 100g oats
- 75g dark chocolate
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts
- Blitz with a food processor or blender the banana (skin and all) with the nut butter and water until a smooth, creamy mix is formed. Depending on the oil content of your nut butter and the ripeness of your banana you may need more water – add slowly, one tablespoonful at a time!!
- Place the oats in a large mixing bowl, add the banana mixture to it and combine until no dry oats remain.
- Press this evenly into the base of a lined square tin and place into the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water and spread over the top of the oat mix. Sprinkle the salt and nuts over everything and return to the fridge to set.
- Once set, cut into squares and store in the fridge in a resealable tub or freeze.