Until a few years ago, beetroot was a vegetable I never ate and barely contemplated tasted. Beetroot and pickle came to mind and the thought of a pickled food sent a shiver down my spine after experiencing a pickled gherkin inside a McDonald’s Happy Meal burger, back in the day when a Happy Meal was the ultimate treat.
Thankfully my concept of a treat has evolved along with my taste buds and now beetroot is a weekly fixture on my food shopping list, I simply can’t get enough of it!
As a sportsperson, beetroot packs a serious nutritional punch as a source of calcium, vitamins A and C, magnesium, folic acid & iron with some research highlighting the benefits of beetroot juice on blood pressure regulation thanks to its nitrate content. These burgers are bursting with flavour, goodness and just try not to eat them all in one go once you’ve had a taste.
Serve with a leafy green salad or stuff in a toasted pitta with some Greek yoghurt and avocado. They freeze very well too.
Makes 8 medium sized burgers.
- 140g walnuts
- 500g cooked beetroot
- 100g feta
- 6 scallions
- 1 fistful fresh/frozen mint leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tin black beans
- Pre-heat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Roast the walnuts for 8 minutes until they soften and begin to crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl, coarsely grate the beetroot, finely slice the scallions, cube the feta cheese, de-stalk and finely chop the mint leaves and roughly chop the walnuts.
- Drain and rinse the black beans before gently mashing or pulsing with a stick blender or food processor.
- Add the black beans and lemon juice to the other ingredients and gently mix together until well combined.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Moisten your hands with water before taking a tbsp of the beetroot mix in your hands and mould into burgers of whatever size you like.
- Add each burger to the baking trays and gently press down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the burgers half way through.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Want to stay up to date with all my latest recipes and creations then join my mailing list now. Click here to get my latest newsletter!
Remember to add #Delalicious to all your cooking, baking & treat making on social media posts.